A simple search of “core workout” on Pinterest yields a frightening amount of shitty core workouts.


To be fair, there were about four “ok” ones.


And….after scrolling for probably 15 minutes, the rest were either not ideal, not factual, not safe, and…..most of those were from people who appeared to have no training or knowledge or education in actually writing and appropriate core workout.


Also, the language surrounding these workouts is absolutely horrid.


“Lose the mom pooch in x days….”


“Best exercises to destroy your belly pooch.”


“The x day flat belly challenge.”


“X day Muffin Top Challenge.”


“Shrink your belly in x days.”


“Perfect pregnancy prenatal core workouts.” (OMG you guys, this one made me cringe, the exercises were SO not ideal for a pregnant body)


My favorite part about scrolling these disasters is when the writer of the workouts has no idea what an exercise is called, so things like “butt ups” and “lean backs” are born.


Oh, and the plank a day pictures…..where there is so much anterior pelvic tilt that the woman in the photo isn’t even remotely targeting her core because her abs are out of the game (and her low back is probably sore like woah). Though, I suppose, it does make for a nice fitness model pose picture when her ass is in the air….*sigh*.


My blood boils, ladies. It BOILS.

Because instead of providing credible, factual, USEFUL information, social media (in this case, Pinterest) is just a place to get more garbage from, and to fuel it further down into the lives of women.


Let me tell you the THREE biggest things that really make me want to rant and rant and rant about Pinterest core workouts…..


  1. They are not user specific. I mean, duh, how can they be. They are poorly designed workouts that have a mish mash of exercises that *feel* like core muscles working and burning. BUT, the graphic they are designed on is so pretty, and tells you in so many words how THIS CORE WORKOUT is going to five you a flat tummy. If you can’t feel my sarcasm, I’ll spell it out. And “the core” isn’t trained by a mish mash of exercises easily displayed on a pretty graphic. It works through a variety of exercises during a workout that don’t always feel like muscles working and burning, maybe sometimes it does. It also works during the rest of your life too, during a healthy breathing pattern, how well you carry yourself with posture and alignment. This varies person to person, core to core….because bodies are DIFFERENT and have different “things” going on for them.

  2. They portray that “toning” your core, or melting at the midsection is done via a specific workout instead of a multifaceted approach of proper nutrition, strength training, and stress management and sleep. Just because someone writes “this core workout will shrink your midsection in two weeks” on a fancy graphic doesn’t mean that workout will ACTUALLY shrink your midsection in two weeks.

  3. Just because someone writes a core workout on Pinterest….doesn’t mean it is legit, credible, SAFE, factual, TRUE, or based on any sort of knowledge or training so they can advise other individuals. I DO know some legit professionals who pin some workouts, and they ARE credible. But, that’s probably like 4%. The other 96% is spewed up onto Pinterest boards from people not credible to provide such information, and shared to the masses of women wanting to consume this information. So, consider your source I guess is what I’m saying. And, don’t share things you don’t know to be true might be good advice for all of us (about core workouts, or life in general).


Here’s the thing. There is more to a healthy core than just a workout. SO MUCH MORE. How do we breathe, how we do sit, stand, and rest in positions? How do we exercise? Do we have any special considerations, injuries, or weaknesses that would impact any one of these things? Are we choosing exercises that mimic real life AND how the core rotates, doesn’t rotate, and how it protects the spine? SO MUCH to consider here.

And so, I’m offering you a chance to learn how your core works, how to work on breathing, how to stand and sit and rest with your core in mind. Oh, and….the big exercises to look to when it’s time to go to the gym. I’m actually putting on #CoreBoss for FREE beginning January 10th, and I’d love to have you join me. My goal with this course is to get women thinking critically about this stuff, so THEY can be their own guru, and not rely on Pinterest to vomit up crappy workouts for them. #CoreBoss is 100% online, and 100% FREE. Please share this with your best girlfriend who could use this information and stop the madness with allll the sit-ups, alllll the time, mmmmmkay?